Brain-Healthy Greek Grilled Steak Salad
A recipe for luscious summertime fare using farm fresh ingredients, healthy fats and the outdoor grill. Brain-healthy AND keeps the kitchen cool!
Gluten-free and perfect for the Mediterranean, Paleo and Ketogenic dietary programs.
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ time to marinate)
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
½ c. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. Dijon mustard
2 t. Italian seasoning
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1-2 lb. flank steak
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large avocado, chopped
1 T. fresh lemon juice
4 c. mixed salad greens (or other lettuce, of choice)
1 English cucumber, chopped
1 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
½ c. Kalamata olives, sliced
½ c. Feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine.
- Add the steak to a large, sealable freezer bag. Pour half of the balsamic dressing on top and seal tightly. Gently turn bag to make sure the steak is thoroughly coated in the marinade. Marinate the steak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature (but not more than 2 hours) or place in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer the remaining half of the dressing to an airtight container and set aside until ready to use.
- When ready to prepare the salad, preheat the grill -- set to high temperature.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard the bag. Add the steak to the hot grill and cook 3-5 minutes per side with lid closed until desired doneness.
[**Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. The steak should be 5-10°F below desired temp (e.g., 135°F for medium-rare) when removed from the grill. The internal temp will continue to rise while resting.]
- Remove steak from grill and transfer to plate. Cover loosely and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the freshly chopped avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
- Layer the mixed salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives, and avocado on a large serving platter and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Once the steak has rested, slice into thin strips and place on top of the salad. Top with crumbled Feta cheese and serve immediately with the remaining balsamic dressing on the side. Enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: This information provided is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to supplement or replace professional medical treatment, advice, and/or diagnosis. This information is to be used at your own risk based on your own judgement. See complete disclaimer.
Join the Anti-Aging Revolution
Yes, I want to learn more about anti-aging and brain health. Add me to your mailing list!